John J. & Barbara A. Smith House at 235 W. Main St., Cary, IL
When Mr. & Mrs. Smith retired from their dairy farm on the outskirts of Cary in 1904, they built this fine house. This cottage size Queen Anne style house with its romantic characteristics is a fine expression of the Machine Age and Railroad Era of McHenry County. An interesting feature is the etched glass scene on the entry doors. During a period of the houses's life, the second floor rooms were rented to railroad workers. Plaqued on April 20, 2008.